Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Lantana native?

Posted by sowngrow TX8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 15:06

I planted this lantana a few years ago, not realizing it may not be native to N. Texas, where I live. Since I planted it, I've got three others that have sprouted from birds sitting on my fence. Please help me determine whether it's native or not as I'll pull it out asap if it's not. I read non-native lantana has truncated leaves, but I honestly can't tell if these leaves are truncated or not. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Lantana native?

Here's a better photo of the leaves. They look truncated to me, but I'm not certain.

o

Hello,
Don't know anything about lantanas but found this link. I'm guessing yours is not native because the flowers are all yellow?

Maybe this will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: texas lantana

o

I have heard that L. horida who its supposed to be a native is not. It has just been introduced so long ago and naturalized that people think it is a native. Even the botanist disagree on this one. I am not saying it is or it is not , since I am no authority… I guess I am doing a "just saying" act..

o

Agree with adidas about the color. If they're not "fading" to orange, then almost certain l. camara or its hybrid. Not the almost sterile 'New Gold' either since you've already gotten several volunteers. Identifying by leaf shape seems tough with so many intentional/natural crosses. Photo shows leaf of l. urticoides (fka l. horrida) on the left and l. camara x 'New Gold' on the right... 'Dallas Red' is about the same. Maybe an expert could tell; but while this Texas lantana leaf looks a bit more ovate, there's so much minor variation in leaf shape on each plant, I'd certainly not be able to tell one from another in a random sample. Maybe there are more differences between the pure l. urticoides, l. camara, and l. montevidensis lines.

wantonamara, Could the question about l. urticoides being a "native" have more to do with its U.S. distribution? It is fairly distinct from the more tropical species in color and hardiness. Also, it has a long history of it being considered native to Texas and Mexico. However, the PLANTS database now shows it as being "native" from California to the Carolinas (skipping Georgia), which just seems wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lantana urticoides native(?) status in PLANTS

o

And given that things do reseed, it might be some degree 90% urticoides and 10% camara (back some generations), to give you color variation.
I tend to believe no lantana was probably native pre-european settlement, but I am certainly no authority on this matter.

In general, I think it provides nectar to hummingbirds and butterflies, and if not noticed to spread invasively, I'd say enjoy it (I do). It probably has less impact on the landscape than a yard full of dandelions (admittedly goldfinches LOVE those).

o

The flowers are yellow and orange. The lighting in the photo, wasn't great. Thank you all for your input. It's sincerely appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here