SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Did I just buy more invasives??

catherinet
10 years ago

Shoot. I drove 35 miles to a nursery I like, and found "Green Dragon". I have an old fashioned phone that doesn't have internet access, so I called my husband and had him look up "Green Dragon", to make sure it was native to our area. He found several sites that said it was. Unfortunately, I wasn't anywhere near the plant when I called him and didn't give him the scientific name. So I bought 2 for our woodland area and came home.

When I got home I looked up the scientific name of "Pinellia Pedatisecta" and everything I've found said its invasive and from Asia and NOT the native Green Dragon Arum that I thought it was. We struggle on a daily basis with invasives on our 35 acres and I'm not going to add another one to it!

The sign the nursery had over these plants said "Related to jack-in-the-pulpit and hardy to zone 6 and great for the woodland garden. I'm in zone 5...........so maybe it wouldn't even survive here, if I did plant it.

I called the nursery and the owner said to bring it back. Great......now I get to spend as much money on gas taking it back, as it cost to buy it. Maybe I'll just burn it. Bummer.

Anyone else have any experience with this plant?
I've learned my lesson......always look up the scientific name and don't go by the signs at the nurseries.
I should have just stayed home and burned the money. :(

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH