Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whatzit and is it native?

Posted by digginfool KY (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 12, 09 at 15:50

Found this while trying to get rid of Johnson grass in a very shady and moist area. Should I leave it or pluck it out?

Here is a link that might be useful: Need a hint

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whatzit and is it native?

Looks like Northern Adder's-tongue (Ophioglossum pusillum). It is a species of fern. Definitely would leave it.

o

need a hint

Ophioglossum for sure.
The folded leaves and sporangia structure suggests it might be O. engelmanii. But it's habitat is limited to areas where there is alkaline soil or a limestone substrate. If your soil isn't alkaline, then O. pusillum is the correct species.
The other KY native, O. vulgatum, does not have a long tapered leaf base.

Not a good idea to try moving them, as they feed on soil fungi and appear to be doing quite well in that location.
Rb

o

Thanks. I suspect it might be the southern version after a bit of searching. The University of Tenn. website has a photo that looks exactly identical to mine but calls it Southern Adder's Tongue. (Ophioglossum vulgatum)
No worries about moving it, it's the Johnson grass surrounding it that going to be leaving the area.

o

Looks just like my Southern Adder's tongue, just about my favorite plant in the woods. They spread quire well when they are happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here