SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digginfool

Whatzit and is it native?

digginfool
14 years ago

Found this while trying to get rid of Johnson grass in a very shady and moist area. Should I leave it or pluck it out?

Here is a link that might be useful: Need a hint

Comments (4)

• lycopus
    14 years ago

Looks like Northern Adder's-tongue (Ophioglossum pusillum). It is a species of fern. Definitely would leave it.

• razorback33
    14 years ago

Ophioglossum for sure.
    The folded leaves and sporangia structure suggests it might be O. engelmanii. But it's habitat is limited to areas where there is alkaline soil or a limestone substrate. If your soil isn't alkaline, then O. pusillum is the correct species.
    The other KY native, O. vulgatum, does not have a long tapered leaf base.

Not a good idea to try moving them, as they feed on soil fungi and appear to be doing quite well in that location.
    Rb

• digginfool
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I suspect it might be the southern version after a bit of searching. The University of Tenn. website has a photo that looks exactly identical to mine but calls it Southern Adder's Tongue. (Ophioglossum vulgatum)
    No worries about moving it, it's the Johnson grass surrounding it that going to be leaving the area.

• cev1
    14 years ago

Looks just like my Southern Adder's tongue, just about my favorite plant in the woods. They spread quire well when they are happy.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio