Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
relentless weeds

Posted by fiddlrs3 NE Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 16:01

I planted a berm several years ago with Sumac on one end, hazelnuts on the other, and in between a lot of little bluestem seed and prairie clover. They sent me Canada rye seeds by mistake, and I've overseeded it with LBS and clover from my other locations on my proprerty as well as several pounds purchased, and tried overseeding fall, winter, and spring ever since. Years later, the rye has given up, the clover is in there( but virtually invisible), but no sign of LBS and its all overgrown with lawngrasses and thistle. I've tried burning, which the Hazelnut barely survived, and hand weeding, but nothing seems to work. Do I have to kill it all and start over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: relentless weeds

In my state we have several native stands of Little Blue Stem, this can be found, but is not limited to Serpentine Barrens. These sites are hot, dry, nutrient-poor, rocky and xeric. LBS exists here due to its deep root system and very little competition from other plants. Does the berm that you planted match this description? If not, LBS cannot compete with the likes of the plants you mentioned. Here, we have only two native clovers which are extremely rare. The other clovers are EurAsian in origin and nitrogen forming. American Hazelnut is native to stream banks and floodplains.
Warm season grasses can be used as ornamentals in your situation. Try plugs or containers of Panicum virgatum or Andropogon gerardi if height is not a problem. If the site is dry and poor consider Andropogon virginicus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here