Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help w/ ID, Kalmia?

Posted by chelone 6, so. Me. (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 26, 06 at 16:22

Our lot is generally low (moist even in times of drought), and was wooded, overgrown pasture when we built our home. Native plants include Osmunda ferns (cinnamomea, claytoniana, regalis), Athyrium felix-femina, Onoclea, High bush blueberries, low bush blueberries, Gaultheria procumbens, mosses, and a ton of delightful little spring ephemeral bulbs, and Lady slippers.

I've been watching this plant for some years now, but this is the firest time it's flowered; there are several of them all preferring the higher ground where it's well drained. Looks like Kalmia, but is really quite small, everything about it is more petite and delicate. It appears to want to spread more, the same way low bush blueberries do.

Can you help me out?

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this a Kalmia?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help w/ ID, Kalmia?

http://www.geocities.com/yinchoy3/WildFlowers/Pink/SheepLaurel01.jpg

Sheep Laurel / Kalmia angustifolia / Kalmia feuilles troites

That's my guess.

o

Its definitely sheep laurel. Kalmia Angustifolia. They are rare where I live in Maryland, growing around bogs. They are more more common in Maine though I suspect.

o

Thanks very much for confirming what I suspected. I don't have a good reference for wild flowers/shrubs and your experience was very helpful.

It's an interesting little thing, really quite pretty, not more than 30-36" H and seems to colonize an area, rather than growing as a shrub. It prefers the higher ground (better drained), rather than the low area that is soggy and drains into a small pond. I like plants like this one. While they're rarely flashy, they're superbly adapted to the site and reveal a delicacy to those willing to simply leave them alone. Now I have a name!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here