Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native mints?

Posted by lovenrage northeast (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 16:43

Hey all, I'm looking for mints that are native to the New England area. From searching I've found Monarda punctata (spotted beebalm) and Pycnanthemum virginianum (virginia mountain mint).

Any others?

Thanks!!

LnR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native mints?

There is our Field mint, Mentha arvensis villosa, which is the only true mint that is native to North America. It is a circumboreal species, meaning it is found all across the Northern hemisphere. Mentha arvensis is represented in our native flora by the subspecies villosa.

o

Some authorities call our native mint Mentha canadensis. It is supposedly derived from hybridization of M. arvensis and M. longifolia a very long time ago.

o

There is the mint family, Lamiaceae, which has a number of north american natives - approximately 50 genera are found in North America. But I suspect you are meaning the "minty-fresh," menthol-type plants, correct?

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamiaceae - Mint Family

o

There's plenty of Monardas alone! Monarda didyma (bee balm), monarda fistulosa (Wild bergamot), and Monarda citriodora (lemon mint, an annual) come to mind. A rather interesting native mint relative is Conradina verticillata (Cumberland rosemary), a plant that looks and smells for all the world like true rosemary (Rosemarinus). It is rare, only found on sandbars in the Cumberland River in Kentucky and Tennessee. It is fairly common in the native plant trade, being easily propagated and quite hardy. Definitely worth seeking if you are growing more exotic, unusual natives (Exotic natives- There's a new one!)

o

I purchased Slender Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum tenuifolium) this spring at a native plant sale but still have it in a pot on my patio. I was a little worried that it might spread too much and I couldn't decide where to put it. Some websites say it's aggressive and some say that it isn't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here