Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying this plant

Posted by cindyloubears Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 16:50

Went for a walk on the bike path today and saw this plant near the creek..I have seen something similar in a garden type city planter in Wisc and was stumped as to what it is.. I can tell you that it stands about 7ft tall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clbcreations/7164223119/in/photostream/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying this plant

I'd say Angelica sp. though since water hemlock can look very similar, it is always best to leave these plants be in the wild.

As far as a plant in a city planter looking like this, then it was probably Angelica archangelica or simply "angelica." It is a beautiful biennial plant. It is quite stately and interesting in the garden when it is blooming. On a garden tour I was once on, most of the folks were ooohing-and-ahhhing over the angelica in bloom though they couldn't guess what it was. It is pretty common to herb gardeners but not the ornamental/flower garden types that these folks were. Your local nurseries probably carry it in their herb section.

FataMorgana

o
RE: Help Identifying this plant

Looks like Angelica atropurpurea, which is not uncommon along streams in IL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here