SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnr71

suggestions for drainage ditch

JNR71
12 years ago

Hi everyone. I am a total nooby and need a little advice. I live in zone 5 (central Indiana). I have a 6-foot wide strip of yard (my property) between the back of my privacy fence and the back of my rear neighbor's privacy fence. It's probably a good 100 feet long. Mostly it serves as a run-off ditch. It is a major pain to get back there to mow, but I have to keep the height down to satisfy neighborhood regulations.

I'm thinking about replacing the grass and weeds back there with a low native flowering plant that I can just leave alone most of the year, something really maintenance free, something competitive enough to keep grass or weeds from coming back but not so aggressive that it will suddenly start taking over adjoining properties. Maybe something I can mow down in the fall and call it done.

There are currently some black-eyed susans growing back there, so I thought about removing the rest of the grass and weeds while planting a bunch of black-eyed susan seeds. But if the black-eyed susans are likely to creep into other people's yards without regular maintenance, maybe I should use something else instead.

I'm open to suggestions. I guess it just needs to be relatively low, say 24" or less, and pretty hardy to deal with clay-heavy soil and frequent extremes in moisture (it goes from dry to a flowing stream and back again). It gets partial to full sun (it runs east to west but the fence offers some shade).

I'd considered doing a mix of different plants, but I want to keep it simple, not like a wild prairie or something. I go back and forth on the idea of annuals that will self-seed versus perennials. I keep thinking annuals for price and maybe easier to get rid of if this whole experiment turns ugly. But I really am clueless.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH