Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Mexican Hat

Posted by Odenwelder Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 17:32

I found this lone plant growing along the side of our rural road outside of Dripping Springs, TX (Texas Hill Country). There are other Mexican Hats growing there, but only one that looks like this. Upon close inspection, those tiny yellow curly-looking things are VERY tiny petals--similar to the bottom row (the hat brim) but very tiny. This is the strangest Mexican hat I've ever seen.

Has anyone seen this or know what it is called?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Mexican Hat

That does seem to be a very nice and unusual find. I believe those small yellow "petals" are common on most (all?) ratibida columnifera, just rarely that big and never open all at once (that I've seen, anyway). More common to see them open as a ring that moves from bottom to top of the cone.... linked some photos below that show this.

Looks unique enough to work as named cultivar if someone could figure out how to legally tame it into a reliable performer. Thanks for sharing your find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower head of Mexican hat (Ratibida columnaris)

o
RE: Mystery Mexican Hat

It would be interesting to see what Mr. Smarty Plants has to say about it at the Lady Bird Wildflower website. I'd be interested in seeds myself and would go back and gather some later on if you can remember where it was or mark the plant. It might be a new cultivar of the species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here