SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesser12

Any help identifying this wild plant/flower?

JesseR12
11 years ago

What is the official name of this wild flower/plant?

I would like to buy some seeds for it. However, the name is quite elusive.

I grew up going to my grandfather's place in the country (Cedartown, Georgia), and these wild flowers grow everywhere. They have a certain scent to them which I personally called the "country scent" as a child. This exact flower is very reminiscent to me of my youth. These apparently grow in all various places of the USA along roads, highways and in fields, meadows and such. When I look them up online, I find LOTS of pictures that refer to them as "umbrella flowers". But that seems to just be just a vague mask description for a ton of different plants and flowers, a lot of which do not look like the flowers in the picture.

So is there anyone out there who can give me an exact scientific name for these?

http://www.123rf.com/photo_6185551_country-road-with-white-umbrella-flowers.html

In the past, someone told me it was the wild carrot flower (daucus carota). I planted that, and it is flowering...but nothing like what I see in the picture. The flower is different. The picture is more of a velvet-like tiny mass of flowers all over that make up one large flower. But they're not like the hemlocks, parsley, etc. that I have seen. I have looked up nearly every possible description of a name that people have suggested to me elsewhere, and nothing looks like the one in the picture. Any ideas?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor