Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any help identifying this wild plant/flower?

Posted by JesseR12 Georgia (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 17:34

What is the official name of this wild flower/plant?
I would like to buy some seeds for it. However, the name is quite elusive.

I grew up going to my grandfather's place in the country (Cedartown, Georgia), and these wild flowers grow everywhere. They have a certain scent to them which I personally called the "country scent" as a child. This exact flower is very reminiscent to me of my youth. These apparently grow in all various places of the USA along roads, highways and in fields, meadows and such. When I look them up online, I find LOTS of pictures that refer to them as "umbrella flowers". But that seems to just be just a vague mask description for a ton of different plants and flowers, a lot of which do not look like the flowers in the picture.

So is there anyone out there who can give me an exact scientific name for these?

http://www.123rf.com/photo_6185551_country-road-with-white-umbrella-flowers.html

In the past, someone told me it was the wild carrot flower (daucus carota). I planted that, and it is flowering...but nothing like what I see in the picture. The flower is different. The picture is more of a velvet-like tiny mass of flowers all over that make up one large flower. But they're not like the hemlocks, parsley, etc. that I have seen. I have looked up nearly every possible description of a name that people have suggested to me elsewhere, and nothing looks like the one in the picture. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any help identifying this wild plant/flower?

I have determined that it is most likely not:

Wild Carrot Flower (Daucus Carota)
Wild Garlic
Cow Parsley
Hemlock (water or otherwise)
Hogweed
Hawthorn

These were "suggestions" by others, but some looked nothing like it

o

I'm fairly certain that it is, indeed, Daucus Carota, Queen Anne's Lace.

o

Yes the one in the picture (a stock photo) is Queen Anne's lace, Daucus carota. A non-native plant.

o

So...any idea why the flowers and stems of my daucus carota plants do not look similar? Are there different "versions" of daucus carota? I planted it a year ago and it is flowering now, but doesn't look the same. Plus, the stem has leaves and such growing out of it even on the little branch-off stem parts, and it just doesn't look like in the picture.

o

Can you post photos of your plant?

o

o

A photo of the plant in the OP's garden, that s/he says is different; not the one s/he linked to.

o

Why different Daucus carota might look different? Growing conditions. Variations due to genetics. The cultivated carrot is a subspecies of Daucus carota and look at all the variation in that.

I see a lot of variation in the Daucus carota growing where I live. Some with petite flowers and others have huge umbrellas. Some with only 1-3 flowers and others with a dozen. You did grow Daucus carota, right? Please share a link to a photo of your plant! We can maybe confirm that for you.

FataMorgana

o

Plus, the stem has leaves and such growing out of it even on the little branch-off stem parts, and it just doesn't look like in the picture.

Might the different pics at the link below help?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images for Daucus carota...aka Queen Ann's Lace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here