Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craving butter-and-eggs

Posted by blueviolets 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 17:36

How does one get butter-and-eggs plants to grow? I saw some along the roadside and pulled them up & tried planting them at home. No luck.

I know some consider them weeds and/or undesirable, but would really like some to grow in a neglected part of our yard.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craving butter-and-eggs

Love them also. Found a small group on side of road in almost pure sand in shade.
Placed one in front garden last year in decent soil with lots of sun.
They came up this year - I do water regularly and this one plant is quite healthy and is sending out small plantlets from underground roots?
I'm zone 5B (worcester hills in massachusetts)

good luck

o

Not native to the US, btw. Just mentioning it since you posted to the "Native Plant" forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linaria vulgaris

o

I usually find them growing in the worst soil - hot, dry, and poor/lean here in Western NY State. You know, that road edge where you found them! From that I would guess they would prefer full sun, well-drained, and lean soil. Rich and moist garden soil does not seem to be their preference and so they may not fare well there.

And digging rather than pulling up is always better for a plant.

FataMorgana

o

I agree with Morgana, that 'pulling' is not the way to go. You will have better luck to dig up a clump, keeping the soil around the roots intact, on a cool, wet day, preferably in the spring or fall. Plants dug up in the height of summer usually do not transplant very well, and undergo a fair amount of stress in the process. I have seen this plant growing well in both poor, sandy, gravelly soil and rich garden soil. It does prefer full sun but can tolerate light shade.

o

is this the same as dalmation toadflax? It is listed as a noxious weed in Montana, if so.

o

No, they are not the same, but both appear to be on noxious weed lists.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toadflaxes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here