Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I start recently collected wildflower seeds now for fall?

Posted by wilsocn 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 18:40

I was out for a hike yesterday and found hundreds of prairie coneflowers (Ratibida pinnata) and Daisies (Chrysanthemum leucanthemum) growing along an open field. I also have Sweet Williams growing along a wooded lot and I was able to collect a few seeds from each.

I was wondering if there is anything wrong with starting them from seed indoors now and setting them out in late September so they can get established before the cold weather gets here.

I know that winter sowing would be an option as well as just starting them in Spring but the truth is that I really like starting seeds and watching them grow before I set them out. I have a small butterfly garden I am working on and it currently has Purple Coneflowers and Black Eyed Susans growing and I would love to add these to the collection.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I start recently collected wildflower seeds now for fall?

Well, up here I am still trying to get some of this years crop to germinate. I use July 4th as my cut off date. If things haven't germinated by then, it's over for this season.
You should be quite ok in your Z6 environment to start seeds now. But decide on a cutoff date.

By the way, your Chrysanthemums are not natives and considered invasive in a lot of areas.

o

Thanks for the advice, dandy. You are right about the daisies. I wasn't aware of their weedy nature but read about them last night after already having posted this. I think I will just try and germinate some Shasta Daisies instead even though they are still not a native plant.

Thanks again for the help!

o

You can always copy Mother Nature and toss any seed onto the ground as soon as it is ripe. A little clearing out of other plants and roughing up the soil to allow better contact with the soil once it rains/gets watered. You could also summer sow--which is just like wintersowing, with the milk jug, etc, but at a later time. The advantages of the container are: constant ambient moisture to improve germination and prevent drying out as fragile seedlings, avoidance of washing away in a torrential downpour, avoiding the seeds and seedlings becoming lunch for some hungry rodent, and the containers are labeled, so you know what is growing and can plant it where ever you like and move them in and out of appropriate levels of sunlight/cold, etc.

Happy sowing!

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here