Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joe Pye Weed Tipping over!

Posted by nankeen z8b Gresham OR (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 18:44

Hi,
I've had this Joe Pye Weed for 3 or 4 years and never had a problem. It's a division of a division I gave a friend 10 years ago. It has about 20 good sized stems, and many smaller ones.

So, this summer, it has lost 3 stems that have just tipped over with about an inch of rhizome still attached. I thought, a strong gust or a wayward bird hit them or something. But today, 3 more have wilting tops and are starting to die, all in the center of the clump. The plant receives full sun, lots of water, some fertilzer. The Lilac right next to it doesn't look so hot either (fewer and smaller leaves than last year). Otherwise, the rest of the bed is doing fine.

Could weevils do this? I didn't see any rodent chewing marks, or slug trails... No moles, voles or rabbits. Lots of worms. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ross

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joe Pye Weed Tipping over!

I might try taking a piece of the clump - a piece that looks healthy, perhaps from the edge of the clump - and planting it somewhere to create a new clump. This will provide insurance in case the first clump dies. I think you would bee marks if rodents were chewing on the stems, but if they are eating the roots it might be less noticeable. I have not had similar problems. If the plants are growing TOO well then they might be tipping because they have gotten too tall to hold themselves up. This is common with many types of wildflowers grown in the garden Fertilizer and water make them grow too lush and they tip over. You could cut all stems back to about 2 or 3 feet and they should regrow and still bloom, although cutting them at this time of the year would surely delay the bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here