Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify this purple flower?

Posted by awed 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 18:58

Hi,

I found these growing under pine trees in my neighborhood (apparently wild). I sowed some seeds around my maple and they came in very nicely this year. Any idea what this is?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify this purple flower?

Where is this located and is it blooming now?

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 11:00

It looks like a campanula, though not a NA native I think..but not sure.

o

Hi,

This is in the upstate, NY area (near Lake Ontario). This pic was taken on the 18th of June.

The leaves are for the flower. (The leaves are not looking, according to the quick look I had, like those of campnula, Dbarron.)

I can post more pics.

o

(I wasn't receiving replies, so I have made a new post.)

Please, let me know if more pics (of the flowers or from a different angle, or in a higher resolution) are helpful.

I don't need to know what this is, but I'm interested.

Thanks.

o

A closeup of the side of a flower and of the leaves at the very base of the plant would help with identification.

o

Thanks, lycopus, I'll see if I can get some good pics.

o

very reminiscent of veronica (gentianoides) but the flower spike is wrong. lithospermum? Not anchusa.....adenophora sp?

o

Is it Ruellia brittoniana?

o

Thanks for your ideas and thanks for indulging me while I reply (I took a long time).

I wonder if simply a larger pic would be easier to see the flowers.

None of the plants posted (that I saw pics of) look quite right. It's not Mexican petunia (although it looked a lot like it apart from the large stem).

Here are some much larger pics. They probably show the leaves at the base and the side of the flower well (there was a large rain, so the plant is not blooming anymore).

I do have the feeling that this is not a native plant. One of my neighbors may have planted it. I may ask in the non-native plants forum (if there is one).

Here's the link to the image-sharing site: https://imgur.com/a/7YK1D .

Awed

Here is a link that might be useful: The images

o

And here is the original pic: https://i.imgur.com/VtMFurI.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: The original pic again

o

The only native that comes close is Campanula rotundifolia, but the leaves are too broad. I believe it is Campanula persicifolia, peach-leaved bellflower which is known to be naturalized in some parts of NY.

o

Lycopus looks to be about right, as best I can tell.

o

Campanula persicifolia.

o

yeah, must concur, this is a short peach-leaved bellflower (mine are all ranging around 3feet tall but there are a few growing in pavement cracks which are only a third of that height. The larger, clearer pic nailed it.

o

Ah, that's the one, Lycopus. Thanks all! I'm glad the pics help. Somehow I do find that plant ID sites often have really small pics. Glad to have the expert comment too (if I may joke, from campanula). Good to have more info about the flower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here