SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimulus_gw

looking for tall, native, hedge-like plants

mimulus
13 years ago

I'm hoping someone can help me. I need to buy some plants that are already tall and have exhausted my usual resources. If anyone knows of a nursery that carried these plants that are already tall, please let me know. I have already tried T.Payne, El Nativo, Tree of Life and my local nurseries. I have included the details of the site and if anyone has other suggestions or input, great.

I had thought of, and she has approved:

Bay Laurel - Umbularia

Laurel Sumac - Rhus/Malosma laurina

Toyon - Heteromeles

I am trying to find a few plants that will grow tall and thick for a privacy hedge in a front yard. I need about 10-12 total (if planted with 3' centers) and the lady would like to have several different plants.

She prefers natives but will consider others and it's a bit of a problem area. The house is in Culver City and stays pretty cool all year and gets fog. The area gets close to full day sun in winter but is shaded by Jacaranda street trees in the summer/fall. The trees were just trimmed (hacked) so I don't know how full they normally are.

She is not patient and would like them to already be tall. They all need to grow to and be thick up to at least 7' tall and 4-6 need to provide complete coverage from 5' to 9' (or more) to try to block out a streetlight also. We only have about 4-5' width to work with and they are in a small front yard, pretty close to the sidewalk (closest 2').

All input appreciated.

Thank you.

Comment (1)

Sponsored