Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about wild grapes cuttings

Posted by new_b_gardener none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 19:24

I found some wild grapes while walking about a month ago. I tried clipping some of the vines to get them to root. I used some rootone to get them to root to no avail. I even tried placing some in a vase with water like i have seen my aunts do with ivy cuttings, and this also was unsuccessful. I wanted to know does anyone know how to get the vines to root. I would love to grow some.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about wild grapes cuttings

I forgot to ask does anyone know how to tell what kind of grape this might be? I was told it could be scuppernongs or maybe fox grapes. I was just curious how to identify.

o

i just came back from my walk this is a piece i pull from the vine

o

I'm pulling wild grape seedlings out of all my gardens at the moment. If you can find a small enough plant, they are very transplantable. But for how to root cuttings, try any of the search links.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: how to root grapes

o

Choose wood for cuttings that is at least as big around as your index finger, smaller cuttings don't work as well. Wrap the cuttings in a very slightly damp paper towel then plastic bag and place in the crisper drawer of your frig, let them stay there till callous forms on the cut ends. when callouses form they are ready to root, dip in rootone and place the cuttings vertically (top ends up please). mist regularly and keep potting mix (fluffy and hi in organic matter) moist but not wet till rooting occurs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here