Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small native shrubs

Posted by fiddlrs3 NE Illinois (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 19:31

We inherited a foundation planting on our southwest facing side a row of redtwig dogwoods, which were an annual battle to keep from burying our small one-story ranch trying to (naturally!) reach their normal size of 10-15'. I finally pulled a few of them (for a number of reasons!) and would like to replace them with a native that would co-habit with some perennials and not try to exceed 3-4 feet tall. New Jersey Tea? Leadplant? Any suggestions for something short, beautiful, and preferably a friendly neighbor or host?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small native shrubs

New Jersey Tea is very nice. Other ideas include dwarf forms (cultivars) of other plants ('Little Henry' Itea virginica; 'Pee Wee' Hydrangea quercifolia; 'Nana' Ilex vomitoria).

o

Fothergillas have nice flowers and great fall color. There are two species that are commonly planted, one that stays quite small and a slightly larger one. Fothergilla major is the larger one I believe.

o

Because you're thinking about New Jersey tea, or Leadplant, I figure the area you want to plant in tends to be somewhat dry? If so, I think the New Jersey tea or the Leadplant are good choices. If the area is sunny, you may also want to try Bush/Shrubby cinquefoil (Potentilla fruticosa or sometimes called Dasiphora fruticosa ssp. floribunda). It gets yellow flowers in the summer, and would probably do okay in dry-ish conditions. I believe it's native to NE Illinois, and that butterflies like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bush Cinquefoil

o

It sounds like Blue False Indigo would be perfect for you. It's beautiful, well-behaved, and ours have been maintenance-free.

Tim
www.WildlifeTheater.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue False Indigo

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 19:40

If you're at all inclined to keep the red-twig dogwood...

I tend two red-twig hedges for clients, one is in front-of-the-house foundation planting, the other is along a (different) client's driveway. With twice a year pruning, these hedges are kept to about 3-4' in height and look wonderful year-round.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here