Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
natives with fuzzy leaves?

Posted by lovenrage northeast (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 19:42

Hey everyone! I'm working on a school project and was hoping I could get some ideas here. Does anyone know of any plants with fuzzy/furry leaves that are native to the US, preferably the northeast?

Lamb's ear is a pretty good example of a fuzzy plant but it isn't native.

Thanks so much!!

lnr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: natives with fuzzy leaves?

Are these plants that you intend to grow? Swamp saxifrage has leaves similar to lamb's ear but might be difficult to cultivate.

o

yeah, hoping to grow them. The easier to acquire the better. Thanks for the response though! I'll look into it.

o

Pale Purple Coneflower (Echinacea pallida) and Pasque Flower
(Anemone patens), native to midwest, but not the NE. Prairie Smoke (Geum triflorum) is native to parts of the NE. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

o

Mullein

o

Rudebeckia hirta - black-eyed susan. The ones I winter-sowed last year are very fuzzy this year. My Echinacea tennesseensis is fuzzy and so is my Echinacea angustifolia.

Purpleinopp- If by mullein you mean the quintessentially fuzzy Verbascum thapsus, it is naturalized not native in North America. I'm not sure if there are any Verbasums native to North America. Though I must agree, when I thought about fuzzy leaves, mullein was the first plant to mind! ;)

FataMorgana

o

Yes, and thanks for the clarification. A lot of time I get butterfly host plants associated as being native in my mind when they are not. Are there any Verbascum native to US?

I don't know what you're researching, but maybe this is interesting.

How about Erigeron?

o

Sweet thanks for all the great responses. I hadn't thought of Echinacea. Very interesting article too!

lnr

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here