SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brownie_gw

Rudebekia mutation?

brownie
13 years ago

I am hoping some of you flower experts will have an answer. I live in S. Missouri where Rudebekia grows wild in fields and ditches. I have encouraged as much of it to grow around my yard as possible since it blooms all year long and I just personally really like it. My question is, does Rudebekia often produce a mutated doublish flower? I have a large bush growing under a sickly apple tree that is probably 4 or 5 feet wide and right in front is the most unusual bloom I have seen. There is only one, and the stem that supports it is also strangely doubled. I have taken pictures of it before it opened as soon as I noticed it and also today, now that it is fully open. I am just wondering, should I collect the seeds from this strange flower or is this a fairly common occurence? I am not an expert, just a person who enjoys the beauty of nature. But I really thought this was strange, even for Missouri!!! lol

Comments (4)

• lycopus
    13 years ago

If you have photos you might post them here or in the name that plant forum. I would not be surprised if the occasional Rudbeckia has double flowers but would not consider it to be common, at least in the wild. You may have something else that looks like Rudbeckia though. Also, if it is a mutant trait it is not likely be passed on by seed.

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

It could also be a condition known as proliferation and/or fasciation.

• topie
    13 years ago

At first I was thinking your flower might be a garden escape of a Rudbeckia hirta double-petaled cultivar such as 'Double Gloriosa', or 'Goldilocks'.

But because the stem is also doubling, fasciation (as mentioned by coolplants guy above) definitely sounds possible.

See: Fasciated Rudbeckia Flowers:
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/chatham/ag/SustAg/rudbeckiaproblem06.html

Or maybe your rudbeckia may have a virus such as Aster Yellows (see link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Aster Yellows

• brownie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank all you wonderful people who answered my post. Fasciation is the winning condition of my beautiful Rudebekia. Loved the link you sent Topie which hit the nail right on the head. I am just going to enjoy my one fastiated bloom and feel blessed. Thanks again!!!

Sponsored