Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers like a rose, but not a rose??

Posted by PaulineJS z6 ON (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 05 at 21:06

I'm hoping that someone may be able to identify a plant for me. It just started blooming, and looks like a white wild rose, but is not a rose plant. The leaf branch has five leaves, and the plant has thorns on the stem.The leaf branches look similar to the raspberries, except on steroids. Leaf set is up to 6 inches in size. It is growing on the edge of a ravine in semi-shade, with white pine and black locust, and wild raspberry. I checked last year for fruit but did not see any. Birds could have beat me to it??

Can anyone help??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers like a rose, but not a rose??

• Posted by Mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 12:34

What part doesn't look like a wild rose? And how is it different?

o

The only part that looks like a rose is the blooms which are white.

o

Blackberry flowers are white and do look abitT like small rose blossoms -- like wild roses, not the domestic hybrids.

Could it be multiflora rose, a non-native 'wild' rose with white blossoms that has invaded just about everywhere?

Here is a link that might be useful: multiflora rose

o

Plant identified, thanks john MO. I did a little more looking on Google Images, and I'm going to call it a blackberry bush, before I drive myself insane.

o

In more norther areas the purple raspberry, a native plant, has large single roselike flowers in a pale purple. The berries are good wildlife food but to bland for most people.

o

most blackberry stems are 5 sided.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here