SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

How deep do the average wildflower roots reach down?

chueh
16 years ago

Hi,

I sowed wildflower seeds on the hillside behind my house starting early April to early May (row by row from the top to the bottom). The soil itself is the typical georgia red clay. Thus, I scattered store bought top soil on top of the seeds to cover them lightly. They were all doing well for sprouting, and each one bore seedlings until two storms hit them. The top quarter was ok, since the seedlings were bigger. However, the rest at the bottom were all washed down to the bottom, where the grass was. Besides, we have had drought here, although I have watered the hillside for at least 4 weeks once a day. two thirds of the storm survived seedlings were diminished.

I am going to sow the seeds again to patch up at the top rows, using the same method, covering the seeds with light top soil. For the bear parts towards the bottom, on the other hand, I am thinking of positioning the packages of top soil themselves directly on the hillside, poking holes top and bottom, and sow seeds directly onto the packages. This way, the soil in the packages won't be washed away again, if there are storms.

However, I am not sure if the depth of the soil in the packages is enough for the roots to be established, and if it is easy for the roots to further reach down to the clay soil.

Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!