Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Willows (New York, Zone 6)

Posted by bob64 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 21:41

In March or early April I put some willow (Salix amygdaloides or "peach leaf" willow) stakes in along the perimeter of a stream mostly on the top of the banks a few inches to one foot inland spaced about 10 feet apart. The area stays consistently moist to wet. Herbaceous plants have sprung up and I now can't find many of my stakes. Around those I could find I cut back the vegetation to let in some more light. Now that summer is here there is also a full canopy over the whole area. Do you think my stakes have a good shot at survival? Do you think critters might have got 'em? Would fall be a better time to start willows?
I planted native pussy willow stakes about two years ago and many of them are still alive but those are in more sun and I put those right into the actual sides of the stream banks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Willows (New York, Zone 6)

I think you can start willow stakes any time. I would remove most or all of the leaves, so they don't dry out due to lack of roots, but the warm weather should speed sprouting. If you have a good supply of stakes, plant lots more than you want so that after a few die and a few are eaten you still have as many as you wanted. I think a stake that is growing leaves has a decent shot at survival. I would remove thick vegetation over the stakes, but don't clear too much. Sometimes clearing too much vegetation makes your plant an easy target for animals to eat. A plant hidden amid other vegetation is harder to find, it seems. I think willows will grow anywhere there is moist soil - they don't need to be right next to the stream.

o
RE: Willows (New York, Zone 6)

Thanks Lady.
I put the stakes in when they were still dormant and they did start making leaves but then they kind of got lost in all of the other growth that subsequently kicked in. I planted several on the guess that there will be some attrition. I hope I can find them when fall comes around. If so, then my spring planting will have proven to be a good decision since they will have had that much more time to establish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here