Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any success in growing coneflowers from seed?

Posted by canadiankaty 3 or 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 21:52

Hello gardeners and thanks for reading my posting,

I live in the Muskoka region of Ontario, Canada, zone 3 or 4. I have tried to grow White Swan coneflowers from seed for a couple years. I never get any sprouts! I have tried seeding right in the garden, and I have tried seeding in little pots, with a mix of peet and dirt. The seeds do nothing. I have bought the seeds from a couple different sources, Stokes, and from Walmart, I forget the package name now. Is there some kind of secret to growing these plants from seed?

from Katy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any success in growing coneflowers from seed?

I never had any trouble with them, and they re-seed themselves in the open ground. Winter-sowing makes it easy, see the WS forum.

You might try to get a local or far north source of seeds.

o

Echinacea seed needs to be stratified before it will germinate.

o

I've just thrown mine out on the ground in the fall, and for a long time I thought I wasn't getting any, but they just take a looong time to become noticeable. Not sure if geography makes a difference.

I thought one could only stratify hard lumpy seeds. hmm.

o

what does hard or lumpy have to do with it?

o

I believe PPB means scarify- to scratch the surface of the seed. Echinacea needs to be stratified- to undergo a cold period before sprouting when it warms up. If you plant the seeds outside in the late winter they will then sprout when the weather warms up in the spring. That's why they reseed themselves outside so easily.

o
Want Coneflowers Seeds.

Would anyone have any extra seeds for Red or Yellow Coneflowers? They are just beautiful and I would love
to get some of these new colours!! Please e-mail me at:
thirdmajorgirl@yahoo.ca . Thank you.

o

any seed can be stratified, if its natural habitat has seasons. I have successfully stratified acorns, cone flowers, impatiens, and just about everything else, even cactus seeds.

o

• Posted by kek19 5b-Michigan (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 6, 07 at 16:03

I agree w/ birdgardener, Winter sow them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here