SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ebedgert

Mystery wildflower! I'm stumped!

ebedgert
14 years ago

I know the answer to this must be easy, but I am completely stumped. This one isn't in any of my wildflower books for New York/Northeast.

While in the Finger Lakes National Forest, I spotted a 2-3 foot tall plant which, at first glance, I thought was just a Garlic Mustard. Some of the leaves looked very similar (sort of triangular/heartshaped, and toothed), and it was growing near a garlic mustard patch. But it wasn't that.

This one has got smallish (3/8") yellow flowers that look like small dandelion heads. The flowers come out of small roundish buds. (It's not Hawkweed - the leaves are totally different; it's also not Goat's Beard, as the flower buds are different.) The flowers live only a short time, possibly just a day, and then shrivel up and turn black.

The leaves are very interesting: when new (near the top of the stem), they are long and bladelike, but as they mature they grow wider and sort of heartshaped, and the most mature leaves have pinnate leaflets emerging below them on the leafstalk.

It's an innocuous looking plant but the fact that I can't find it in a wildflower guide is driving me crazy! What is it? any suggestions?

Comments (7)

Sponsored