Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milkweed Forum

Posted by wildflowerman_2000 North Carolina in Z- (wildflowerman_2000@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 22:23

Hi Folks,
I've written Gardenweb requesting that they add a special MILKWEED forum for those of us who are trying to establish milkweed gardens/plots to help with the declining Monarch populations. If you are so inclined please drop them a note supporting this idea and maybe we will have our own forum in which to communicate.
Regards,
Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milkweed Forum

I've had several request as to how to contact garden web so hopefully this will help.
Just go down to the bottom of the Main Garden Web page where all the Garden forums are listed and in small print there is a spot where you can click to contact Garden Web. Click on it and you will get one of the boxes where you can type in a message and send it to them. This spot is also available on many of the pages you visit so any of them will work. Thanks for doing this and there seems to be some serious interest in having this forum.
Mark

o

Thanks, Mark!

o

Just got my first Milkweed plants Today. ASCLEPIAS SPECIOSA. Going to find a spot for them as soon as this rain stops.

o

Request made. Very easy to do, and I got a response.

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 20:11

Thanks for the info, Mark.

I also sent an email to gwTamara, who is the GardenWeb Community Manager. Here's a link to her member page, from which you can send an email thru GW.

Katie

Here is a link that might be useful: gwTamara member page

o

great idea!!! there was a segment on the local NPR station the other day about monarch watch and the local chapter. it is my new project!!! would love to have a specialized forum for the journey!!!

o

Hi Folks,
Thanks for your responses regarding setting up a Milkweed forum on gardenweb. I hope you have taken the time to contact gardenweb directly as per the instructions in the existing forums. The more interest shown for this forum the better chance we have of getting it. It will really be nice to have a forum devoted to milkweeds so those of us who share this interest won't have to search all over the gardenweb site to locate information.
Regards,
Mark

This post was edited by wildflowerman_2000 on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 11:37

o

i've left my comment/suggestion w/ gardenweb :) in the meantime, where is the best place to find info and advice on starting my monarch waystation? i am joining the local chapter/affiliate of the monarch watch group and hope to start on my bed when/if the ground ever dries up from all of this rain!!!

o

Hi lenahall,
The website for the Monarch Waystations is:
http://www.monarchwatch.org/waystations/
Mark

o

I just sent a message requesting the forum.

The best place on GW right now to find information about milkweeds and creating butterfly habitat is the Butterfly forum.

My property was registered as a Monarch Waystation in 2010. Monarch Watch also has a set of forums - including a Waystation forum, however that one is pretty slow. The busiest forum seems to be "Rearing Monarchs" and sometimes I read and post over there during Monarch rearing season here which is mid-late summer.

Haven't seen a Monarch yet!

o

exciting!!! i have an acre or two that i'd like to devote to milkweeds and other native plants for butterflies... preferably away from my little organic raised veggie garden where some black swallowtail larvae are hanging out :)

o

I've made my request as well.

Does anyone know:

Are people who have requested this new forum notified if it is created? Or does it just show up on the list one day?

Mary

o

Mary,
I'm not really sure how this works but I plan on contacting them again every month until a decision has been made. I would hope they would notify me since I made the initial request but we'll have to wait and see. I'll put up notices on all the spots I've listed this information on when it becomes available.
Again for those of you who have not contacted gardenweb requesting the milkweed forum I (and lots of others) would really appreciate your doing so as your opinion will make a difference!! Info on how to do this is in the thread above.
Mark

o

I too have made a request for a milkweed forum. Thanks for coordinating this effort.

o

i received a response (it didn't look like an auto response)... so they are definitely listening!! keep it up :)

o

Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 19:24

I got a response from Tamara, and she said that she would "make it the first new one we build - probably within the next couple of weeks."

Hooray!

Katie

o

Fantastic News. Thank you for the update.

Mary

o

This is great. Looking forward to the new forum.

Sandy

o

Any updated information as to when we might see the new Milkweed forum?

Mary

o

Hi Mary,
Nothing definite yet but we've been assured that it will be the next forum created. I've submitted several photos for the header already. They are working on some garden web design stuff first and then the Milkweed forum. Hopefully it will be soon.

This post was edited by wildflowerman_2000 on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 21:48

o

Hi Mark,

My thanks for the update.

Mary

o

I don't understand the disconnect between what would be discussed on milkweed forum vs. the existing butterfly forum?

o

Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 12:29

There are plenty of folks who grow milkweed first and foremost for itself, not specifically for butterflies. The butterflies are a secondary benefit, albeit a very nice one.

o

Like a perennial, native, annual, fragrant?

o

Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 14:36

Hi purpleinopp,
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking; but, yes many people grow milkweeds because they are perennial, or a tender perennial in the case of A. curassavica. Many are grown because they are native, although there are several milkweed species that gardeners grow that are not native to the US. And yes, many are delightfully fragrant, and very beautiful. Not to mention their fascinating pollination strategies!

o

Hi purpleinopp,
They are almost all perennials and hopefully the native ones. Some do have fragrance.
My reason for requesting the special "Milkweed Forum" is the fact that there are postings all over the place- Butterfly Gardening, Native Plants Exchange, Seed Exchange, Prairie & Meadow Gardening and so on. You could spend hours trying to find all the info on them whereas we hope with a special forum we can have all the milkweed info in one concise spot for future reference. Many folks are concerned about the loss of native populations of milkweeds which support our Monarch Butterfly populations and if enough of us plant these small garden plots all over the country we can help revive their numbers in the future. I hope you will join in on this endeavor as each person who does can make a difference. The fringe benefit is we get to have beautiful flowers in our yards and gardens also!!
Regards,

o

anyone around the chattanooga, tn area this sunday - the magic and mystery of monarchs 2pm at chattanooga state http://www.wutc.org/post/dewaard-presents-mystery-magic-monarchs-825#.Uhe8uvAskGc.facebook

Here is a link that might be useful: wutc segment on monarch lecture

o

Yes, I've been planting for butterflies for decades and know all about milkweeds. Although monarchs are a rare sight in Opp, there are plenty of others. Our entire yard is a habitat for them and hummingbirds. I understand what you're trying to do, I just don't agree that it would be a good thing to separate discussions about milkweed from the butterfly forum. But I support your efforts to make GW more useful to you, so good luck! Why not rename the butterfly forum, 'butterflies and nectar/host plants?' Might be a helpful, attention-getting compromise.

o

Hi Folks,
Well it's official the MILKWEED FORUM is up and running as of 4 PM today (10/21/13). It can be viewed at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/milkweed/ . Please pass this along to all your friends and let's all start doing everything "Milkweed" on this site. Thanks to all of you who sent in requests to Gardenweb and for your patience while this site was constructed. It's a brand new look for Gardenweb and our forum is the first to have it. Enjoy!!
Regards,

o

Be sure and post this on the butterfly forum.

o

Ignore. Repeat.

This post was edited by ncrescue on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 9:31

o

Ignore. Repeat.

This post was edited by ncrescue on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 9:30

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here