Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
False Solomon's Seal-Maianthemum racemosum

Posted by novagrdnr7a none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 22:52

I'm considering adding this to my shade garden and was wondering if anyone who grows this can tell me how strongly fragrant the flowers are and what type of scent-spicy, sweet, etc.-thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: False Solomon's Seal-Maianthemum racemosum

I;ve never smelled anything on mine. I like the M. stellata instead as it seems a little more cultured and interesting.

o

Thanks dandy_line, I'm kind of confused now as so many sites describe it as fragrant. Here is a quote from someone
"But the winner in my garden is the wild False Solomon's Seal, Smilacina racemosa, with an exquisite scent worthy of a great perfume. It is a scent that seems to overwhelm the senses. While they are blooming, assuming the deer leave them alone or I put wire around them, I try to make a daily pilgrimage to delight in sniffing them."
I'll hope for the best.

o

I'm very sensitive to perfumes and I've never smelled anything from the false Solomon Seal. I have been over whelmed by Cacalia however. But, maybe if the ground is totally covered with the F S S, maybe then it is perfumey.

o

Sorry Nova, but I concur with Dandy. I have a beautiful patch of Smilacina racemosa in the front, which the deer didn't find and munch the flowers off, unlike the plants growing in the back yard, and there was a nice bloom this year. I made a point of sniffing the flowers, and there wasn't the slightest fragrance.

I'm not sure what these other folks are talking about, but perhaps there is some genetic variation and some individuals are fragrant?

This post was edited by terrene on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 2:22

o

Another False Sol. Seal grower whose 2 patches of plants (from different sources, planted years apart) have no scent at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here