Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milkweed cuttings

Posted by jimmymonto 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 23:40

Anyone have any luck getting milkweed to root from cuttings? I was forced into cutting down a HUGE patch of common milkweed at my rental property, and because of the tap roots, there is just no easy way to move them.
I have cut them all off, and have them in water for now...and they are very alive. I'm panicking that once I hormone dip them and try to root them that I'll lose them.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milkweed cuttings

This may help, but remember the cuttings should be about 3-6 inches in length, and the top portions of the plant work best in MHO.

Propagating milkweeds from cuttings:

To start cuttings, cut the stems underwater, then dip in rooting hormone. The cuttings should be placed in sand, vermiculite, or potting soil that is kept continuously moist. Best cuttings are made from stems 1/3 inch diameter.

o

Also, I have moved Asclepias tuberosa several times and have had no trouble with reestablishing the plants because of the taproot.

o

If your cuttings don't root, all is not lost. I find starting common milkweed by seed is extremely easy and it grows very fast. By the second year, you should have another nice patch, by the third year, great huge plants once again.

I live in the city on a small lot and I grow my common milkweed in huge pots to keep it from spreading into unwanted places by underground nodes. It grows very well in these huge pots, too. I find it about the easiest of the perennial milkweed to grow by seed.

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here