Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White spider lilies (Hymenocallis caroliniana)

Posted by guitar_man_dan LA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 0:40

There is a local bog plant which I have dug up and have in my yard that grows native around here (NW Louisiana), seems to not require as much water as it typically does in the wild, blooms in the spring (with foliage present),and smells heavenly. I also have plants dug from my late mother-in-law's lawn that has an identical bloom, but has no fragrance, and blooms in the fall, bare stem (pre-foliage) like the common red spider lilies. I have been unable to identify this plant through much research in books and the net. Can anyone help me? I have photos if that would help, but have much to learn about maximum resolution allowed here. Thanks!
Blessed, Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White spider lilies (Hymenocallis caroliniana)

Dan,

Here's an easier way to post pictures.
Open a free Photobucket.com account. That way you can post multiple pictures on the same post and don't need to worry about picture size.

Once your photos are uploaded to Photobucket, just highlight then copy the middle line beneath the photo marked " Tag".
Then return to your post here and paste. Repeat the process for as many photos as you wish to post.

I have found this to be an easy method which doesn't restrict posting many photos.

o

Carol, thank you! I have some photos on webshots, but haven't used photobucket. I will try soon (busy day today) and hopefully a photo will help.
Blessed, Dan

o

You could paste all your photos on this same thread, together in one reply. I'm curious about the white flowered autumn bulb, maybe a Lycoris?

o

Here's one taken Oct. 5

Here is a link that might be useful:

o

One last try. Here are two shots from last October

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is a shot of the spring variety (Hymenocallis caroliniana)taken last early May

o

The spring blooming species(with foliage) and the yellow center is Hymenocallis liriosme. I must admit that I have not noticed those to be fragrant though. The fall flowering ones on naked stems are likely Hymenocallis occidentalis(syn: H. caroliniana). They can bloom anytime from mid-summer to early fall, after the foliage dies down. None of mine have put up any bloom stems yet, although the foliage has died down.Both of these native species are found in NW LA. My H. liriosme came from a late dear friend near El Dorado, AR.
Rb

o

Razorback, thank you! I have been confussed about the two for decades. I appreciate it, greatly! It gives me a starting place for more research!
Incredibly blessed by new friends, Dan

o

I found some of these lilies in a cow pasture and moved some into my yard. The first couple of years they were great. Quite a show. Now they put up stems, but all the blooms are somewhat deformed. I noticed some red color around the bottom of the leaf close to the ground. I would very much like to know what to do to help them bloom correctly. Any ideas.

o

Can anyone tell me if this plant can be grown from the seed pod that drops from the plant it self. I have searched and can not find any information on the actual seed pod.
Any ideas?

o

Yes, it can be grown that way. I have one that bloomed this year from seed sown a couple of years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here