Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
virginia creeper on fencing

Posted by hayley1999_99 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 1:51

if I have a chain link fence and grow virgina creeper on my side, in my yard...not the sidewalk side..will the berries/fruit that are not safe to eat grown on out onto the sidewalk side or will it stay on my side in my yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: virginia creeper on fencing

Both sides, would be my guess.

o

Yes, both sides. Are the berries unsafe to eat though? I'd not heard that. tghey're related to grapes.

+oM

o

I've seen info on the berries range from mildly to highly toxic for humans. I'd assume the worse case... especially for children. Not so important to eliminate the berries, but good to be aware that they are poisonous should some person or pet happen to get into them.

We've had VC covering a 3 ft deep bed and up the 50 ft wide brick veneer wall on the north side of the house where we have to trim it aggressively to keep it from reaching the wooden frieze board and soffit. The full shade and/or regular trimmings result in no berries.... or fall color :-( So it's possible to eliminate the berry risk if it's a concern with the right conditions and a bit of regular work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poisonous Plants of NC: Parthenocissus quinquefolia

o

There is no question it will grow through to both sides. I've been trying to get some ripe berries for years, but they get eaten so,fast by birds and animals that I never find a ripe one. This year I put little drawstring bags over a few branches so I can collect seed to plant along my fence. Are you concerned about people passing by picking the berries and eating them? IMO if someone is old enough to be walking by unsupervised, they should have been taught not to eat strange berries in other people's yards. You shouldn't have to worry about them.

Martha

o

I totally agree, but that's just not how it is here. Even though our crime rate is above the nat'l average little kids get to roam the neighborhood doing what they want basically.

So I'd be dealing with little kids probably picking these

o

• Posted by c2g 6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 9:40

I've been letting VC run wild on my garage for the past few years and it's almost completely covered at this point. I have a lot of bird traffic in my yard, so the berries don't last too long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here