Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Osier Dogwood

Posted by pellice 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 28, 06 at 6:40

A happy question to you all: last Christmas I was outside and took a tip cutting of a red osier dogwood whose beauty struck me. I then put the tip in a moist paper towel, then inside a ziploc bag, and stuck it in the refrigerator. Well .... you know what happens then, I just pulled it out, thinking it was hopeless, put it in some water, and lo and behold, the tip is leafing out. No sign of rooting that I can see.

Is there a possibility I can root and grow this? I gathered the tip in Indiana, but am now in New Jersey. It's such a beautiful shrub, would love to be able to look at it in winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Osier Dogwood

Red osier dogwood is common to the swamps of new jersey,and as a shrub prone to growing in large clonal groups,it would love to have you break off a peice to take home to replant.Find local stock out in the wilds of your area.That way you will know its native,has local vigor,and is not the asian variety.Take a walk on the wild side.
Don't worry about barerooting it, its indestructable

o

I agree with nywoodsman that you should try to find a local variety. Although I bet the Indiana plant would grow in your yard, you'd be introducing Indiana genes into the local red osier dogwood gene pool. This might be an insignificant thing if done once, and it might not be very significant for red osier dogwood, but if native plant gardeners like us keep moving plants around the country we surely will eventually cause damage to the genetic makeup of native plants. There are plants like red osier dogwood that grow everywhere from eastern Canada to Texas and there must be genetic variation within the species. By moving plants around, we are messing up that natural genetic diversity.

Hope you don't think I'm beating up on you - just trying to point out a potential problem that I think native plant gardeners should be aware of. to propagate red osier dogwood I'ld first try placing a few 1 foot long cuttings with no or only a few leaves on them directly into the ground where you want the plant to grow and keep them moist. Push about half the cutting into the ground and leave the rst sticking out. This could also be done in a pot. I think they will root easily. If not, as nywoodsman said, there should be lots of rooted "suckers" alongside any large plant you find in the wild. One of these could be removed with a few roots and should transplant successfully.

o

Can red osier grow in east TX.?

o

It doesn't occur naturally in TX. Might not get cold enough in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here