SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anita55_gw

I don't know what this is

anita55
15 years ago

Hello, everybody, I know that some of you visit other forums so if you've seen my question and photos elsewhere please just skip this. I have tried the Name That Plant, Weeds and Perennials forums for an ID.

Information that I have gathered:

It does not have a tap root. It does not sting. It does not smell like mint. The leaves are shiny. The spines or hairs are soft. It's growing on the edge of the woods in zone 6, NY.

I hope someone here will know what it is. Thank you.

{{gwi:246489}}

{{gwi:246488}}

{{gwi:246487}}

Comments (8)

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

If the stem has 4 sides,(and it looks like it does)Its in the mint family.
    Does it flower? and if it does, what do they look like?

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THe stem is somewhat more square than a other stems but it's not square like BeeBalm. It has no scent. i haven't seen flowers yet. I will keep an eye on it for flowers, though, as that may be the only way I'll get a positive ID. thanks.

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just read this:

Note that there are a handful of other plants with square stems and opposite leaves, which may be confused with the Mints. Those plants are found in the Loosestrife, Verbena and Stinging Nettle families, but none of them smell minty.
    Could my plant be loosestrife?

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Its not loosestrife, loosestrife leaves have a smooth edge. The leaves of this plant are serrated.

I was looking at the vervains and its not familiar to me. I would recognize hoary vervain, and its not that, either.

It looks like a nettle to me. Its not stinging nettle (Urtica diocia) because the diocia leaves have deeper lobes. But it could be Slender Nettle (urtica gracilis) which doesn't have as much sting as the other.

• bob64
    15 years ago

I was thinking Virginia Copperleaf but now i thinkg I am wrong. I am providing a link for it anyway just in case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Copperleaf

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi I have been studying photos of nettles and they seem to have "veins" running along the leaf longitudinally from tip to stem, if that's not a confusing description. My pictures don't look like that to me. I'm really lost. thanks for trying to help me.

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello for those who tried to help me, I got this email back from the New England Wildflower Society:

ItÂs hemp-nettle (Galeopsis tetrahit), a member of the mint family (swollen stem below the node a good indicator!). ItÂs non-native, but not considered invasive

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:282327}}

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES