Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Phlox Divartica?

Posted by kristin_flower 4a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 8:43

I purchased the seed on the internet and winter sowed them. Somehow it doesn't look like what I thought it would look like. It hasn't bloomed either.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Phlox Divartica?

No, I don't think it is. Reminds me a bit of Wild Quinine, Parthenium integrifolium, but that doesn't mean it is that either.

o

It is possible. This phlox is the kind that has tall flower stalks. I think the phlox name is wrong it should be divaricata. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phlox divaricata

o

Thanks for the link. This makes me feel a little better about it actually being phlox divaricata. Would it be normal for it not to bloom in its first year? It's in a semi shady spot, but there's enough sun for it to bloom.

o

It is definitely not Phlox divaricata, i don't know what it is though.

o

The leaves appear to resemble the phlox divaricata leaves pictured and described in the link terrestrial man provided, except maybe bigger. There are also tiny little hairs all over the stems as well as the leaves.

o

While the leaves in his link do resemble those of your plant, the leaves are not in fact arranged the way your plant's are. The link is deceptive in how it shows those leaves by themselves.

The picture linked below might give you a better picture of the habit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phlox divaricata

o

I'd say it's not a phlox of any sort. The Parthenium (wild quinine) I've grown has more defined and regular edge serration on the leaf nor is it downy, so I'm thinking it's not that, either. I'm not sure what this is, although I've seen some young erigeron (fleabane) that it rather resembles.

o

Certainly nothing like Phlox divaricata. I wonder if that is what the first-year Dianthus barbatus (Sweet William) plants look like? Since Wild Sweet William is a name applied to our phloxes, that might have led to the confusion. Of course, I couldn't find any pictures of D. barbatus seedlings, so it's just a guess. Maybe you could try posting it on the Cottage Garden forum?

o
other forums

Oh, and just try the Name That Plant forum. Most everything gets ID'd on there eventually!

o

I don't think it's any kind of phlox. At first I thought it might be some form of Campanula, but somehow that doesn't seem right either. Looking at it more, it makes me think of possibly some form of aster, or maybe a goldenrod, though I don't know the latter well enough. I'd check into asters though, it definitely has the look of some of them.

--Ron

o

I agree. It is definitely not Phlox Divartica.

If you don't get an ID here at GW anywhere, could you possibly email the site where you purchased the seed?

The foliage of Phlox Divartica is very fine and wispy.

Sue

o

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the site I purchased the seeds from. I had the impression it was a lady with a home based business. I guess her seeds must have gotten mixed up.

Whatever it is, it was very easy to winter sow in containers, and it is a very vigorous plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here