Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heart-Leaf Milkweed (Asclepias cordifolia) seed

Posted by mary_littlerockar 8a-7b mid Arkansas (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 10:33

Based on photos of this milkweed, posted to another thread by Mark (wildflowerman_2000), I purchased seed and would like to try growing this lovely milkweed.

I would love to hear from anyone having experience with Heart-Leaf Milkweed (Asclepias cordifolia) milkweed.

Should the seed be cold stratified and if so, for how long? I've kept the seed in the fridge but don't know how long to hold them before attempting to germinate. Since their native range is west coast and rather dry, I'm curious about the method of germination.

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heart-Leaf Milkweed (Asclepias cordifolia) seed

Check out Butterfly Encounters for information on how to grow this milkweed. I know he has it for sale. I've tried a couple of times with no success.

Good Luck!

Sandy

o
RE: Heart-Leaf Milkweed (Asclepias cordifolia) seed

Thanks, Sandy. If you didn't have any luck, then it's probably a losing cause. This milkweed has such a lovely bloom, I just had to give it a try. I've lived in California and know how different the humidity can be in our neck of the woods, comparatively speaking. And if these plants naturally grow at higher altitudes, then the daytime temps would be what we'd consider lovely spring or fall days, temp wise. So maybe we're fighting both high temps and humidity here.

I received an email from Joyful Butterflies, the on-line vendor where I purchased my seed (BTW, beautiful big healthy looking seed) and she wrote to say her on-line growing suggestions were to be discarded. She now believes the seed needs more cold stratification than she originally thought. I'm going to hold the seed in the fridge for two months and then try germinating half my count. Will keep back half in case this try is unsuccessful.

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here