Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When should I plant field daisy seeds?

Posted by carolyn53562 S. Wisconsin (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 10:42

Hi, I'm new to this forum but regularly frequent other forums at the GW. Someone gave me a bag of field daisy seeds that had been collected from this year's field daisies. Everyone calls them "field daisies" around here and they are the daisies you see growing in prairies. My questions are (1) when should I plant them and (2) how should I plant them? In nature, the seeds just fall onto the ground right now. Should I just spread the seeds where I want them to grow now? Or should I wait until next spring? And should I just spread them on top of the soil? Or should I plant them in little trences and cover them? Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When should I plant field daisy seeds?

I would plant them in the fall. And they should grow next spring.

If its a small amount, I press them in the soil, (not under the soil) and then cover with mulch. I usually put a marker with the name on it. So I can remember where I put them.

If its a large amount, I would sprinkle over the ground where I want them and leave them be.

o

joepyweweed, Thanks! It's a large amount, so I'm going to plant some in a bed and then the rest I am going to spread in a wild area that I hope to make into a prairie someday too.

o

Do you think it is Ox eye Daisy, a very common weed that is not native? If you want a native prairie, please do not scatter the seeds unless you know for sure.

Prairie Moon Nursery has seed mixes containing native plants. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon

o

Where can I get wild daisey seeds? I had a plot of them but moved. Thanks.

o

I have a similar sounding area of wild life on my property in Waterloo Ont. I want to try just throwing out a bunch of daisy seeds to grow.
Will these bloom every year? Any particular make of seeds I should look for/
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here