Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant? Wasp/Bee problem

Posted by Steve4444 FL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 11:10

I am hoping someone is aware of what this plant is and can help me understand why all of a sudden it is attracting bees and wasps of every type. It does not flower that I have seen and has not attracted bees for the last 5 years we have lived here. Two points, I used to do my own pest control and am using a service now. Could prior spraying have prevented this in the past. Also the bee/wasp population is higher than normal this year,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant? Wasp/Bee problem

Could they have hidden a hive in it?

o

It could have some sucking insect, like aphids or scales, that produce honeydew. Look under the leaves and along the stems for any of these insects. Wasps will come and feed on the honeydew if there is a lot of it. Usually it will turn the lower leaves very glossy and sticky.

o

Thats got to be it. I went and checked the plant and saw tiny black insects on the underside of the leaves. Just sprayed the plants and hopefully in a couple days will be resolved. Thanks for the response.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here