Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 more id's

Posted by kek19 5b-Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 11:24

what's this, the circled vine. Next to it is cockscomb I planted. I have morning glories planted somewhat close, but they haven't bloom, so it's not a seedling, plus the leaves are shaped differently.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And this stuff, its all over. (not the fleabane, the green foilage stuff) When it was 1st growing, I thought it was Queen Annes Lace. When it was really small they looked the same. I have a lot of QAL in that area.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 more id's

The first one looks like bindweed.
Your second picture is really dark but looks like ragweed, Ambrosia artemisiifolia.

Here is a link that might be useful: ragweed

o

• Posted by kek19 5b-Michigan (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 12:56

The second one is most definantly ragweed. I did some looking up on bindweed, and it looks like hedge bindweed. I think I might chance moving it to a spot that doesn't grow things well and I won't mind it trying to spread. The flowers are pretty. Then again...if I let it flower, it'll reseed... Never mind, I just read that it's illegal to grow it in Michigan, but then again, it also says it's illegal to grow and or sell Morning glories, but those are at every nursery...weird.

Anyways...THANKS carol23!

o

The first plant isn't hedge bindweed, or any other bindweed in the genus Ipomoea species. It's a vine in the buckwheat family, most likely Polygonum convolvulus. This has the common name black bindweed, though it's unrelated to the morning glory-type bindweeds. It does sometimes show up as a garden weed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polygonum convolvulus

o

Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 12:42

I don't know, on the link below it compares Field bindweed, hedge bindweed and the buckwheat vine, and to me it looks more like the hedge bindweed pics. I potted it up, I guess I'll see if it flowers like bindweed or the buckwheat vine.

Here is a link that might be useful: bindweed

o

Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 19:28

Ok Janet, you win! Its the Polygonum convolvulus. I found another one, in bloom. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here