Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arrowwood viburnum--pruning for overgrown?

Posted by Bioteach44 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 12:02

We are restoring our backyard wildlife habitat. The above picture is the west boundary of our yard. It has a significant amount of arrowwood viburnum, with long drooping branches that touch the ground. Is this considered overgrown? Should I consider hard pruning to restore it and encourage more growth in the spring?

The right side of this photograph (white tipped leaves) is asian bush honeysuckle that is ready to be removed. There are a few others we have marked in between as well. I was considering a witch hazel in that area maybe? or chokeberry?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arrowwood viburnum--pruning for overgrown?

I found a Youtube video. You can search " pruning Viburnum dentatum " to see results on the net.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube video pruning

o

Thanks for this post! Do you think using this method that I could lightly prune some of the dead undergrowth as well as some of the long, drooping branches at this time of year? I'd love for it to be about 10ft tall...but I want it to stand up, not droop! I just don't want to prune midsummer if I'll risk loosing the plants

o

As long as enough foliage remains, you don't risk losing it. Does it flower well for you? Sometimes shrubs become lanky if there is not enough sunlight.

All dead should be removed. I would do that first to see what is remaining. I would then follow back to the ground the stems that are too long, and remove some completely. As the pruning video shows, don't leave bare stems sticking up. Prune them to just above some leaves.

If you are having drought, I would wait for a soaking rain before starting the pruning.

o

I like my arrowwood to grow tall and act as a screen, but I do prune to about half some of the larger limbs every year. About 1-4 limbs per shrub, usually in late winter. This way they get bushier over time while I still maintain some height. Most of mine are growing in partially shade and still grow upright. Probably would be fuller and flower more if they got more sun.

Jeff, (hamptonsgarden.com)

o

Sorry for getting to this so late. Maybe OP is still around?

For all species of multi-stemmed shrubs, the all-around best treatment is occasional to yearly renewal pruning. In this type of pruning, you select for removal the oldest, stoutest and most mature "canes", which you cut at ground level or as near to ground level as you can, without dinging up the remaining more juvenile stems. By doing so, you are favoring the more vigorous younger stems, which will help with flower/fruit production in many cases, as well as helping to keep the plant a bit more manageable. This is not easy work by any means, but it will allow an older shrub to remain youthful and vigorous more or less indefinitely.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here