Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solomon's seal information

Posted by anita55 zone 6 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 12:11

Good morning everyone. I was out in the woods this morning checking on the native plants that I bought from the Master Gardner sale earlier this year. The Solomon's Seal looks beautiful. Will it spread or do I need to add more to make a stand of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solomon's seal information

It will spread, but on its own, very slowly. The berries are highly favored by critters, so its not a prolific re-seeder.

Sometimes I help mine along, by picking the berries, pressing them into the soil, and covering with leaf litter. It gives the seeds a bit of protection from the rabbits. Though I think the chipmunks and squirrels may still be able to find, they just are less likely...

o

I have a ton of them, but they were all here when I moved in seven years ago. Every year, I find more and more seedlings. They do take a couple years, I suspect, before reaching flowering size. If you have a lot of patience, wait and they will spread. But if you want more now! then plant more.

I love this plant.

o

thank you!

o

Goodness, if Soloman's Seal is happy..it will spread like crazy...not necessarily by seed, but by rhizome. I'm over-run with it, LOL!

o

my solomon's deal is dead! it bloomed and looked lovely (as it has for many years) and quite suddenly turned yellow and died. help please

o

Do you have voles - plant eating critters that tunnel underground? You might want to dig down and take a look at the roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here