Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More questions do you have answers?!

Posted by anita55 zone 6 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 12:16

three pretty flowers that I need to ID before I decide to remove them. Are they native wildflowers or non natives that I would want to remove? Also a question about lily of the valley: I thought that they were not native here but one website I came across called them native. I'm wondering if they are calling them native when they mean naturalized, meaning that they are widespread? Here are the photos that I need IDS for. ONCE AGAIN thank you to everyone!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More questions do you have answers?!

not sure, but compare the first two to:

#1 butter and eggs (Linaria vulgaris)
linaria ct botanical

#2 queen annes lace (Daucus carota)
daucus - ct botanical

both are abundant, and non-native to the U.S.

not sure about the 3rd one

o

Thanks for the quick id and may I say "darn it!"

A

o

According to the USDA site, Lily of the Valley are introduced.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA

o

Thank you for the information about the lily of the valley. I thought that it was non native. A friend gave me a few for my garden but I'm going to pass on planting them. I'm going to try to find the native plants that are similar. I saw them somewhere. Now I have to tell my friend that I'm not going to put them in. I'm sure she'll understand. Maybe if I find the native ones I'll buy a few for her, too.

o
RE: lily of the valley

there's acutually an american Convallaria ?? -
Convallaria majuscula (I never knew this!!)
not native to NY state (usda map)

the plant I always knew as lilly of the valley (non native) is Convallaria majalis.
considered a woodland plant and can be used for naturalizing- but (as mentioned above) - introduced.

there are native "false lily of the valley"
Maianthemum stellatum
Maianthemum dilatatum (west coast?)

maybe your friend has one of the natives??

Here is a link that might be useful: lilly of the valley Convallaria - usda

o

A bit off-topic, but -- the plant from your first picture was my favorite flower when I was growing up in Europe! We kids called them "little dogs" because when you squeeze the little flower on the sides, it opens up its mouth :) Do kids here in the US do this? Now thanks to you and bubbleoffplumb I know the plant's English and Latin names, which is awesome. I've never seen this flower here, so your picture made me smile :) It's an odd feeling when being a responsible gardener means pulling up the plants that you loved when you were a kid! I must say, learning that Lily of the Valley is a terrible pest here was my biggest gardening heartbreak! :)

o

Alenka, if it's any consolation to you, I hear that there are some cherished North American plants that are pests in Europe. Invasive plants arrive in many ways but one of those ways is when someone plants a pretty plant that turns out to be invasive. Cest la vie.

o

Hi Alenka, I have read that Snapdragons are favorites of children for the very reason you said - they squeeze them to make the little mouths open. They are annuals that are popular here but not native either, alas!

It's amazing, isn't it, what you can learn on these forums. I love 'em.

A

o

I think the third picture looks like some species of Epilobium - most are called 'willow herb' although the most well known - Epilobium angustifolium - is called 'Fireweed.'

o

thank you ladyslppr, I googled it and there are so many varieties of Epilobium. I haven't seen one that looks exactly like mine but I think your ID is right. And it is a native, right? I have more pictures of other plants but I'm almost getting embarrassed to have so little knowledge of what's growing in my yard. i'll post it separately and hopefully will get an ID.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here