Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
solomon seal colony collapse

Posted by negardner 5b-6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 13:15

Has anyone had problems with sudden loss of solomon seal plants?
I had two large colonies of great solomon seal growing under trees in my yard in Rhode Island, they flourished for almost 20 years. Last year, the largest colony died out in mid-summer, virtually all at once. The plants did not return this spring. Now, a second colony about twenty feet away has also died. In fact, almost every solomon seal on my property is now gone.
I saw little evidence of insects - these plants were healthy for 15 to 20 years. Any ideas are appreciated. I grow mostly native plants and these were my favorite of all. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: solomon seal colony collapse

Voles? I lost a scattered group of pink lady slippers, and I think voles were the culprits. I have also lost two nice silver sedges and half a F. sedge, and I know these plants were eaten by voles. One day there, two days later gone. On the other hand, maybe they got too thick. I dug some in the wild (rescue) this past spring, and they were about fifty all attached. If you had the drought that we have had for the past several years, maybe there were too many to survive with such diminished water??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here