Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gaultheria procumbens

Posted by NB_2009 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 13:33

Hoping someone can tell me what happened to my teaberry. It's been in this spot for over a year along with two other teaberry that show no symptoms. Leaves dried out about two weeks ago after plant appeared healthy and put out new growth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gaultheria procumbens

That looks to be a very open, even sunny, location. Also maybe somewhat dry? If so, that is pretty opposite of what wintergreen would like - mostly shade and with a moist, acidic and relatively organic soil. Dislikes heat and dry.

o

Thanks for the response gardengal. The reason why I'm concerned is because I have two other teaberry plants adjacent to it that show no symptoms. Plant is about four feet away from a wood fence on the east side of my property.

o

Any possible herbicide drift from nearby neighbors?

o

Yup. Looks like environmental damage to me. Never spray when there is the least bit of air movement!

And it could have come from the local highway group or electric company, as they spray often, and without regard to drift. I have damaged plants in the mountain, and although I have a "no spray" sign at MY property, the adjoining lands do not. Consequently, when they spray, some chemcial drifts down to mine. Sad.

o

Could also be that your friendly neighborhood dog relieved himself on that one plant. This could lead to such damage, and is worth considering, given that nearby plants of same type were unaffected.

+oM

o

Thanks for the replies. Is it possible that it'll bounce back. Thinking about it now, I do have an issue with dogs urinating on this side of the property.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here