Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'miniature hollyhocks' - sidalcea malviflora Brilliant

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 13:38

I ordered this plant from Spring Hill last year, and to my amazement (as I had never heard of it) it came up and is blooming and happy. I googled it and it said it was a NA native perennial.

Does anyone grow it? One of my questions is that, in my garden and in every picture on the internet I have been able to find, it is a medium pink tending towards lavender. However, all of the written descriptions call it "carmine red". It is not remotely red - what is going on?

Anyway, in my Mediterranean climate it seems to be great - I have ordered more. Just wondering why it is not more well known. Common names - "miniature hollyhock" (it is in the mallow family), checkered mallow. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'miniature hollyhocks' - sidalcea malviflora Brilliant

Miniature Hollyhock

An ideal cut flower, miniature hollyhock adds charm to the vase or middle of the perennial border. Blooms appear in summer and come in shades of pink, red, lavender, and white.

This is the info I got on them and I've fallen in love with this, thank you for introducing me to another flower! :D

o

Thanks ament - If you get some and grow them, it would be interesting to see if they are perennial in your climate, or if you have to treat them as an annual.

I am glad to hear that they come in several colors - I will have to hunt them down!

Jackie

o

Jackie, if you are willing, could we do a trade on seeds maybe? I'd love to try the ones you have and see how they do here. :) I will also attempt to find them in the local nursery here too. I've got the name written down on a list of items I want to get for next season.

Tina

o

Tina - not interested in trading, but if you go to the website "springhillnursery.com", they have it on sale for $1.50 - sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

Jackie

o

Alright, just thought I'd ask. I'll check my local areas first before ordering online. :) Thanks much Jackie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here