Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sego lily.

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 1, 05 at 14:21

Can this one be grown in a garden? There are some blooming in very fast draining soil in rocky scree. Really beautiful, but I don't know of any in a cultivated garden. Seed availability? Would be willing to experiment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sego lily.

Guess not.

o

Gandle, the only sego lily I know is native to semi-desert regions of the arid west. I'd be reluctant to try it in Nebraska unless you have fairly dry and well drained conditions. Have you seen it wild near you? Can't help you with sources...

o

You mean its blooming near you (in Nebraska) (on the rocky scree) so it must be in nebraska already right? I think that since it grows native there it shouldn't be too hard to grow in your own garden. Again it would probably be best to find a really well drained (in the garden) spot. I personally don't know too much about it because I'm in NJ. No experience with sego lilies or even rocky soil here! :) Post on the nebraska or similar forums maybe they have more info. :) This site may have seeds:
http://www.wildflowersunltd.com/CatalogPage2.htm
Here is a site on cultivation and /sowing details:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Calochortus+nuttallii&CAN=COMIND
There's info somewhere on this page about how to germinate sego liliy seeds:

Here is a link that might be useful: info

o

I got seeds for Calochortus luteus and C. longebarbatus from a local botanical garden gift shop. Patrick Studio (Guru Garden on the net) carries C. gunnisonii seeds, and the North American Rock Garden Society seed sharing thingy has a number of others. I've only had luck germinating C. luteus (and only one C. longebarbatus), but they all perished by accident this year. Norman Deno's seed germinating guide says that they like to germinate in cold, like many cold-climate desert plants. Up here in BC, we have a few native species too, in the only desert in Canada, in the interior of the province.

o

Gandle, are you in the sandhills area of NE. That would help explain how you have sego's in your area. A lovely almost desert area, if you like sandburs

o

I grow them in my garden. They are the state flower here in Utah. This year they have bloomed beautifully and in large numbers. I bought mine as bulbs from a gentleman that rescues them from property that is being developed. I also purchased seed from Alplains this fall and sowed them in pots that I left outside. They germinated well this spring.

I was told by another gentleman who grows Calochortus that although many of this species will flower within 3 to 5 years, C. nuttallii(sp?) can take up to 7 years before it flowers.

From the link listed below check with Ames's and
Wildflowers Unlimited for seed and/or bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native plant and seed sources

o

I live in southern OR. We had lots of calochortus elegans in our yard...purple & white sego lilies complete with whiskers. We are usually pretty dry but we had an unusually wet spring this year. I don't know about germination, they were here when I got here.

o

I am living in Colorado, and I think these flowers are supposed to be native here but I have never seen them. Anyway, I would be very interested in getting some bulbs of Calochortus nuttallii. I know it's been a while since this page was active, and I looked for an email link for Sagebrushred, but apparently you don't have one. Does that gentleman still collect and sell the bulbs? Would he ship them to Colorado?

Thanks!

o

I live in the Pine Ridge area of northwest NE,(which is not in the sandhills) and have the sego lily growing in this area. I usually only see one or two a year, but this year there about 100 in bloom in our front pasture. We have had an unusually wet spring, about 9" of rain in the past 5 weeks.

I know the previous posts are old, but had to post after finding this beautiful wild flower today in such abundance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here