Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wildflower edging?

Posted by spat72 zn_9/10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 14:30

I have an area layed out with a hose that I want to make a mini wildflower meadow. It is irregular shaped and aprox 200 square feet. I am curiouse what to use as an edging that will keep out the lawn grass. I plan to wildscape the entire property over a period of several years so a simple implimintation is desired. This is a brick hard clay soil. I attempted some stones but took about 2hrs just to get 3 in the ground and ruined my pick. Will native bunch grass fill in as an edge. I could run the tiller along the edge. Beats the hell out of me but done it before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wildflower edging?

There was a thread about this on either this forum or the woodland forum. You can dig a shallow trench to slow down the encroachment of lawn grass. You will have to beat back the grass once in a while with almost any system. Sometimes I dig a shallow trench and lay logs in it to make an edge/border. Laying the log in the shallow trench keeps it from rolling around. Some people use bricks or pavers flush with the soil surface. You can also buy flexible metal, wood or plastic edging. You will also want to heavily mulch a few inches inside the edges of your flower garden. Sounds like a great project you are working on.

o

You might need to soak the clay and wait a few days before you work it. I don't think I'd work clay soil that was either too wet or dry. Personally, I think stones would be the nicest, and of course the longest lasting.

--Ron

o

I mostly use just a shovel cut along the edge of the lawn with perhaps 4 to 6 inches of scraped soil, then the garden. This looks nice and neat when I first make it or after I have just spruced it up, and it allows me a place to run the wheels of the mower so i can mow right to the edge of the lawn without cutting anything in the garden. TO do this I simply take a standard garden shovel and cut the edge of the sod to make a nice edge. After repeating a bunch of times I have a neat edge for the lawn. The lack of any edging material makes it really easy to repeat the procedure if grass spreads or weeds grow. ANy time I have put stones, logs, etc. for an edge I get weeds in around the material and it becomes a pain to have it there. The plain dirt method is a lot easier to maintain, and I think looks pretty nice if kept neat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here