Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Talinum paniculatum, pearls of Opar

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 14:38

When this showed up in a pot a few years ago, I was charmed and continue to adore this incredibly floriferous plant and it's see-through little flowers up in the air. What do you think of this plant? Besides seeds, obviously, does it creep? I wonder about using it in a bed. How much sun can it take?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Talinum paniculatum, pearls of Opar

I have 'Kingswood Gold' in full sun. Each plant is individual and doesn't creep, but it seeds heavily so I'm going to remove a lot of small plants. It compliments a gold tipped Chamaecyparis.

o

Thanks! That's good to hear. The spot I have picked out is in a bed with a million oak sprouts so something easy to pull will seem, well, easy.

Wondering why I said "pearls" instead of "jewels?" Oops, one common name is enough.

o

Found pics my honey took (with his actual camera, not a phone) of a close-up of these flowers. Each one is so tiny and looks like a little swirl of butterflies or something when the wind blows it. The leaves have a really pleasant, soft, "juicy" feel to them. So sweet! I deadheaded this year and it's been blooming for a long time, still sending up new stalks.

o

Beautiful!

FataMorgana

o

I think so too! Had the blessing of cloud cover yesterday which is much better for taking pics, IMO, so snapped one of the whole plant. It may be 4 but at least 3 years old.

o

It is a pretty plant. Pity it is not hardy in my zone because I'd certainly invite it to my gardens otherwise.

I remember first running across this plant in a seed catalog many years ago...many decades ago, really. It was the name that caught my eye. "Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar" was the first of the Tarzan books I read when I was young. I found the book at my grandparents' house - forgotten so I "adopted" the book. Came home to sit on the shelf next to the Conan books I was loving to read at the time - By Crom, I was a fan before any of the movies! Good memories. Sometimes it's the name that can really make or break the appeal of a plant, isn't it? ;)

FataMorgana

o

Yes, quite an alluring moniker, especially when you (I) don't mess it up. LOL! I think you'd get satisfaction growing it as an annual, albeit a late bloomer. Some seedlings here are starting to flower in the past week although the mama's been going for a while. If you get a chance, worth a try. If it made seeds, (which ripen quickly,) it might start a patch going.

o

I'll have to try it. I've been an avid gardener since I was 10 but I was dreadful awful at starting seeds for most of those years. I could do anything with plants save start seeds - other than direct sown veggies and summer annuals which never were a problem. In the the last 10 years, seeds and I finally clicked. Many things you could only get as seed I've been going back and trying. This will have to be one I try next season. Thanks!

FataMorgana

o

Hope it goes well, good luck!

o

Evening shot.

o

Beautiful!

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here