Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mint ID

Posted by ctnchpr (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 14:41

There's a mint growing in my woods, and after some research, I think it may be Whiteleaf Mountainmint (Pycnanthemum albescens). How close am I?

The crushed leaves have a pleasantly pungent scent, somewhere between Eucalyptus and patchouli, with just a hint of male cat urine thrown in. :-)

TIA.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mint ID

Yes to Pycnanthemum, but I am not familiar with the one you named. According to the website below, it does not grow in NC. They are many Pycnanthemums, and they all spread as most mints. The ones I see are alongside the roads, in full sun, up in the mountains. They can compete very well with the hardpan soil and gravel there...and smell wonderful! Oops. Just previewed my posting, and this website has great photos but not the geographical distribution, which I saw on another site. Oh, well. Maybe it will help a little.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pycnanthemum

o

Thanks, ncrescue! The plants on the link you gave look just like my plants, so for now, I'm calling them Whiteleaf Mountainmint.

o

Pycnanthemums can be difficult to ID -- albescens/montanum/incanum/muticum/virginianum don't differ that much. Of the species I'm familiar with, your pics look most like Pycnanthemum incanum. Incanum is pretty widespread, and has the more ovate leaves as seen in your pics. Albescens leaves tend to be more lanceolate and more deeply toothed. But then, there's a fair bit of variation within all species, and certainly within this genus. I've wondered whether Pycnanthemums in that complex intergrade or hybridize, as there have been some I simply couldn't ID with certainty due to characteristics of more than one species on a single plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here