Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native evergreens for winter wildlife cover and human interest?

Posted by Bioteach44 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 15:28

I live in Central, Indiana (roughly zone 6). What would be good evergreen shrubs that do well in partial shade? We have little room for more trees, and I am trying to plant with mostly native Indiana/Midwest selections.

We are restoring a backyard that had been overrun with invasive asian bush honeysuckle. Entertainment and wildlife are the primary two features. We have several deciduous trees and fruiting shrubs in the works, but I am not familiar with what some of these will look like in the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native evergreens for winter wildlife cover and human interes

yew is the best evergreen for shade..... most evergreens prefer full sun...it comes in many shapes and sizes but alas is toxic to animals. privet would fit the bill and provide wildlife food but is another invasive so you probably won't want that : ) mahonia does very well in shade, has yellow flowers in spring and blue grape-like berries later so may be your best bet. it is native in parts of the u.s.....not sure if its native in your area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here