Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeds or Wildflowers??

Posted by RonLee2 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 15:33

Please help me identify these plants! I planted wildflower seeds in a small garden less than a month ago and all that has sprouted up are what you see in the photos. I also posted pics of the wildflower seed I planted. Any help is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeds or Wildflowers??

The first 3 photos are flowers. The 2nd photo is specifically Cosmos. The 4th is just grass. The 5th looks to be crimson clover but I can't tell from the backside. I planted the same mix in my yard. If you're not sure, Google the flower names on the bag. That's how I found out for mine. In my garden the crimson clover bloomed first, then the blue cornflower and baby's breath and yellow poppies, then the red poppies and the larkspur, then yellow calendula, with the other flowers blooming at random. They will get tall. Mine were between 2-3 feet. They're all bloomed out and dried now. I spent this Saturday cutting down the last of the cornflower.

o

Wow, a stunning amount of NON-NATIVE plants in that mix based on the label you show.

o

I think the 2nd one is larkspur.

o

I don't want to discourage you, RonLee2. I'm thrilled you want to grow wildflowers! My own goal is to create a native wildflower meadow. Native plants support native wildlife--from butterflies and other pollinators on up to birds (which feed their young with insects that are attracted to native plants) as well as other animals.

Unfortunately, I agree with esh_ga. As soon as I saw the package, I assumed it was a "wildflowers in a can" type. You will likely have some flowers and enjoy it the first year, but from what I've read and heard, it will become a tangle of weeds by the 2nd or third year.

I'm trying hard to figure out how to word this, so I don't sound preachy. :-) I strongly suggest that, in the coming years, you grow native plants to support the butterflies and hummingbirds you desire.

Providing nectar for butterflies only feeds the adults. To sustain a population of butterflies, you also have to provide the wildflowers (native plants) that their caterpillars need to feed on. Caterpillars must eat from a specific host plant. The adult butterfly will lay its eggs on the host plant, and you will be able to witness all of the stages of a butterflies life cycle. It is very exciting.

The most common example of a host plant is the relationship monarch butterflies have with milkweeds. I have planted several species and was thrilled to watch the caterpillars grow. Just today, I saw a spicebush caterpillar hiding in a curled up spicebush leaf (its specific host plant). I'd like you to have the same thrilling experiences.

Sorry, I was no help in identifying your plants, but I hope I was helpful with pointing you in the right direction for the goal I think you have in mind. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here