Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silphium terebinthinaceum (prarie dock)

Posted by skoobedoo z6 Va. (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 15:53

Saw it growing outside in a garden near the Botanic Gardens in Washington DC. My neice gardens in New Jersey (Forked River). She has a large garden and this plant would be a really great addition. The DC climate is not that different from my neice's, yet the hardiness map does not include NJ for this plant. Can someone tell my why She should not try it. I say give it a "go". What you say?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silphium terebinthinaceum (prarie dock)

It grows fine in SW Michigan. This will self-sow -- has a mind to colonize -- and the flowers are not very showy, but I like them, as, obviously, do the birds.

In the fall, the dead dried leaves are as spectacular as when they're growing green and upright -- they look like the leaves of some wavy water plant, suddenly frozen.

o

I would highly recommend this plant for your niece.

o

The plant almost surely will grow in New Jersey, as the climate there isn't much different from the plant's native Midwest. But be ware that it can take 3 to 5 years or more to finally put up a flower stalk. Like most tallgrass prairie plants, prairie dock spends its first years growing deep (to 8 ft or more) roots, to deal with the frequent Midwest droughts. So unless you plant a seedling (not just seeds), be patient.

Also, the plant requires lots of direct sunlight, preferably at least three-quarters of a day or more of direct sunsine.

It's a stunning plant when mature, with giant elephant ear basal leaves and the tall (up to 9-ft) naked stems, topped by a cloud of 2-inch yellow sunflower-like flowers. For a garden "Wow!" plant, nothing beats this one.

But again, you must be patient with it, especially from seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here